Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Why Is That Girl Dressed Funny?

 I wanted to share a little bit today about WHY I do what I do and wear what I wear, besides the obvious fact that I just like it! No, I have not always done my hair and make up the way I do now, and I do not do it every single day, just about 80% of the time as I do have other hobbies and a little one that sometimes require serious dressing down. I have always been obsessed with the past, loved history, old music, movies, cars etc..but it wasn't until recently that I discovered some fabulous ladies on YouTube (The Cherry Dollface, Lisa Freemont Street & PinUp Doll Ashley Marie to be exact) that finally opened my eyes to HOW to actually achieve the looks of different decades without looking like a complete idiot! When you use the beauty techniques of days gone by you look like a beautiful woman of days gone by! Pair that with adorable(and sometimes not so adorable lol)  vintage and retro fashions and you look like you hopped right out of a time machine!

But why on earth would you want to do that on the regular??

I guess for me it boils down to when I dress up like the women of a certain style in a certain decade, I tend to subconsciously embrace all the best ideals of that time period. I tend to think about that decade a little more throughout the day and pick up certain positive attributes that I think women of that era had. For example,

When I need to loosen up and be a bit more wild and carefree, an eyebrow raising flapper look is always fun

For a night of dramatic glamour, I might style myself after a starlet of the 1930s

When I need an infusion of independence and a just GET R DONE attitude in my life I tend to choose a wartime 1940s look
 
 
Sometimes I'll dress like the perfect 50s housewife in hopes that I might clean and cook just a little more perfectly- and sometimes it helps lol
 
and who could forget the big hair and even more importantly the big CHANGES of the 60s & 70s??



 
 
 
So besides the fact that its just plain fun to dress the way I do, and there are SO many different looks to choose from, for me it goes a little deeper than that. Now don't get me wrong, I realize that not everything in the past was all roses, but I like to take the best idealogy from back THEN and apply it to life NOW and styling myself in the fashion of the times helps me look good while doing it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment